Wednesday, January 03, 2007

An absence of posts

It seems that keeping up with the very simple premise of this blog - post a few words about each book I read, as I finish reading it - isn't as simple to accomplish as I thought it would be. I'm not sure why this is.

Partly, I think, my perfectionist tendancies combined with the fact that this is a public forum. I find myself wanting to post something close to a full review of each book, which requires that I set some time aside and think deeply and carefully, rather than simply writing an unvarnished reaction. And to also write serious reactions, thoughtfull meditations on this or that inspired by my reading - after I get the full review out of the way, of course. Which all becomes something like homework.

And really, much of what I read doesn't inspire such serious reactions. I read a grab bag that includes quite a bit of genre fiction - romances, murder mysteries, meant to be pure pleasant escapism. Maybe I don't want my less intellectual preferences showing.

Well, here's a list of unposted boks from the last little while. I'll write about some of them in more detail later, if the mood strikes.

Books and short stories from Kage Baker's Company series:

  • Mendoza in Hollywood
  • The Graveyard Game
  • The Life of the World to Come
  • The Children of the Company
  • Black Projects, White Knights (short story collection)

Mysteries and romances by Nora Roberts:

  • Going Home compilation, containing the books ”Mind Over Matter”, “Unfinished Business”, & “Island of Flowers”
  • Cordina's Royal Familiy series: Affaire Royale, Command Performance, Cordina's Crown Jewel
  • Mysteries written as J. D. Robb: Naked in Death, Ceremony in Death, Witness in Death

Other:

  • The Runaway Princess, Christina Dodd
  • Hidden Honor, Anne Stuart
  • Windflower, Nick Bantock
  • Forcing Amyrillis, Louise Ure
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty, Libba Bray
  • Beguilement, Lois McMaster Bujold
  • The Buried Pyramid, Jane Lindskold
  • The Silver Bough, Lisa Tuttle

No comments: