Thursday, January 18, 2007

Novels and stories from Kage Baker's Company series

The Graveyard Game, Life of the World to Come, The Children of the Company, Black Projects, White Knights. I read these fairly in one steady Company binge.

I'm not going to review these - it's been done better. All I can say is I like the Company... but. The Children of the Company drove me nearly insane! Life of the World to Come ended on practically a cliffhanger for Alex, and Graveyard for Joseph. I picked up Children desperately needing to find out What Happens Next to the characters I care about - and instead got what I later realised was a fix-up of short stories. If I'd been expecting short stories about random company-related things, that would have been one thing (as with Black Projects, White Knights), but I thought I'd picked up a novel.

Not that some of them weren't excellent short stories. But the main plot, such as it was, seemed to involve a rivalry between the unpleasant Labienus and one Aegeus, who is probably equally unpleasant, but stays offstage. Fight between Unpleasant and Unknown. Don't Care.

I was piqued enough that I haven't gotten the next book in the series, even though it apparently does carry on the plot from Life. I'm trying to hold out until it shows up in paperback, at least.

No comments: