Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Buried Pyamid by Jane Lindskold

Odd but enjoyable.

I like Jane Lindskold's books. Ok, I lost interest in the Firekeeper saga a couple of books in, but I like her stand-alones. I especially like the way she bounces around between subgenres - she's done sword-and-sorcery (When the Gods are Silent), near-future cyberpunk (Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls) and an off-planet SF espionage (Smoke and Mirrors), among others. This one was particularly odd: a Victorian-era novel of an Egyptian archaeological expedition, not unlike Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody mysteries and complete with mysterious murderous thugs, which abruptly turns into a journey through an egyptiam mythological landscape accompanied by a sun god. Left me with a bit of whiplash...

No comments: